- Posted by: Jose A. Luna
- Category: Uncategorized
Strategic planning is an organizational management activity that is used to set priorities, focus efforts and resources, strengthen operations, ensure that employees and other interested parties are in good standing.
moving towards common objectives, establishing a balance between the expected results and the results achieved, and evaluating and adjusting the direction of the organization in response to a changing environment. It is a disciplined effort that produces fundamental decisions and actions that shape and guide the mission of an organization, who it serves, what it does, and why it does it, with a focus on the future. Effective strategic planning articulates not only where an organization is going and the actions necessary to move in that direction, but also how it will be known if it is being successful.
The Strategic Plan
A strategic plan is a document used to communicate to the organization what its objectives are, the actions necessary to achieve those objectives and all other critical elements developed during the planning exercise and to be applied in the plan development process.
Strategic management is the complete collection of processes and activities being executed by an organization to coordinate and systematically align its resources and actions with the mission, vision and strategy throughout the organization. The strategic management activities transform the static plan into a system that provides feedback to the development of the strategy for decision making and allows the plan to evolve and grow as requirements and other circumstances change. The execution of the Strategy is basically synonymous with Strategic Management and refers to the systematic application of a strategy.
Steps of Planning and Strategic Management
There are different frameworks and methodologies for strategic planning and management. While there are no absolute rules regarding the proper framework, most follow a similar pattern and have common attributes. Many frameworks operate with different variations in what would be basic phases: 1) analysis or evaluation, where an understanding of current internal and external environments is developed, 2) formulation of strategies, where a high-level strategy and a strategic plan are developed basic at the organizational level is documented 3) execution of the strategy, in which the high-level plan translates into more operational planning and action items, and 4) the evaluation phase or management logistics, where continuous refinement ; Performance evaluation, culture, communications, data presentation,
Attributes of a good planning framework
The Strategic Planning Association (ASP), a nonprofit professional association based in the United States, dedicated to promoting thinking and practice in the development and implementation of strategies, has developed a series of criteria such as Knowledge Accompanying Patterns to capture and disseminate best practices in the field of strategic planning and management.
These criteria are:
- Use a system approach which is initiated with the final goal in mind.
- Incorporate Change Management and Leadership Development to effectively lead an organization towards high performance.
- Provide actionable performance information to better inform decision making.
- Incorporate entries based on the Evaluation of the external and internal environment, and an understanding of the needs and expectations of customers and stakeholders
- Include Strategic Initiatives that focus attention on the most important performance improvement projects.
- Offer a support tool kit that includes terminology, concepts, measures, tools and techniques that are flexible and scalable.
- Align Strategy and Culture, with a focus on results and drivers of results.
- Integrate existing organizational systems and align the organization around the Strategy.
- Simple to manage, easy to understand and direct, and offer practical benefits in the long term.
- Incorporate Learning and Evaluation, to promote long-term continuous improvement.
There are numerous planning and strategic management frameworks that meet these criteria. We will be presenting some of them on this web page later. For more information about the criteria listed above, please visit the ASP website.
For more information about planning and strategic management in general, you can contact us directly at our telephone 849-859-4278 or by email at email@example.com
We offer consulting, management, and strategic planning services